Building on a Medical Tourism definition, it’s not an easy task so Let’s GO take some insights to clarify some doubts people are facing, as well the benefits of Medical Tourism.
About Medical Tourism. How can we define Medical Tourism?
We can simply say that Medical Tourism is when a person travels to another country for medical care. In fact, Medical Tourism is the term commonly used to describe international travel for the purpose of receiving medical care. Somebody who crosses borders to obtain medical care in an environment outside their own is called a medical tourist
But, why people are going abroad for Medical Care?
Medical tourists may travel to another country to get medical and health care for a variety of reasons, but the mainly are:
- Receive a procedure or therapy not available in their origin country;
- To get treatment or a procedure that may be cheaper in another country;
- Search of better and higher quality of medical treatments that may not be available in the native country;
- Lack of access to health care at a reasonable cost and time;
- The rise of high-quality medical care in developing countries;
- Accesses to the latest technology;
- To get a procedure or therapy that is not available or approved in their country of residence;
- The opportunity to combine medical care with their holidays;
- To receive care from a healthcare provider who shares the traveller’s culture and language;
- The growing popularity of getting medical services abroad.
The most common procedures that people go through on medical tourism trips include dental care – implants or total rehabilitation –, plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery, fertility treatments, bariatric and metabolic surgery, hair transplants – FUE method –, angioplasty, vascular surgery and urology.
What are the types of medical, wellness, and health tourism?
- Medical Tourism: the focus is on medicine and healthcare as well as surgery and treatments to be offered by state-of-the-art healthcare providers such as hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical centres.
- Medical Wellness Tourism: the focus is balanced between medical treatment and tourism, resulting in a harmonized mix offering healing, recuperation and curative programs using natural resources or environmental assets. Although all such activities are practiced under medical supervision, customers mostly receive the medical wellness programs in health resorts named independent spas.
- Wellness Tourism: where the focus is on physical, body and spirit revitalization retaining the “feel good” approach such as body pampering, beauty and facial treatments, fitness programs such as massage, water exercise, sauna and thalassotherapy.
Best countries for Medical Tourism
Medical Tourism in Portugal offers an excellent value-for-money option and that’s why the country is considered one of the best countries for medical tourism. Under the World Health Organization ranking of healthcare systems, Portugal takes 12th place. You will get the same quality of treatment and care without the exuberant costs. The best notice is that you can tailormade your recovery in Portugal after your medical treatment, with personalized programs designed by medical tourism agencies.
Go Health Portugal is a unique medical tourism agency in Portugal that offers a wide range of medical tourism packages that are ready to buy or tailormade to each case.
From relaxing in the sun to more active and touristic experiences, Portugal is the perfect place to recover from medical treatment. You will find all-inclusive packages, that include accommodation, transfers, meals, touristic guides and so much more. Most important, you are going to have personalized support from the moment you arrive at the airport until your return.
Now that you know everything, accept our challenge to improve your health and well-being, come to Portugal – Europe’s Leading Destination in 2022 – and find out our Medical and Wellness Treatments.
Let’s GO Celebrate a Healthier Life Together!